SC - Le menagier and Medieval Home companion

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Tue Jul 4 03:14:03 PDT 2000

>Ladies and gents, can someone illuminate me on this point?
>
>I have in my possession Tania Bayard's edition of _The Goodman of Paris_,
>published as _A Medieval Home Companion_. I've been using the English
>translation of _Le Menagier de Paris_ by Janet Hinson online at:
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html
>
>Now, my sources say that these come from the same book... but the contents
>don't match! Are they really from the same book, or from two different
>books by the same title?
>
>Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
>disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me.
>   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"

Hello! They're all bits and pieces of the same book.
	Bayard's book contains only a small number of the household hint
instructions in Le Menagier de Paris.
	Pichon's edition of Le Menagier is two large volumes.  AFAIK, it
contains the whole text. Le Menagier has an enormous chapter containing 197
pages of recipes, menus, and general cookery and household instructions
(and about 50 pages worth of editorial notes). Greg & I have webbed part of
this (in French) at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/
	 Power translated many of the culinary recipes, but not all, in her
edition of The Goodman of Paris.  She also included menus, some household
hints, etc.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com