Subject: SC - Roast beef kinda long

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 5 21:57:54 PDT 2000

Hauviette posted her redaction of a recipe. As it was rather long and
my questions are more on technique, I snipped the original recipe info.

> Redacted recipe:
> 2lb Blade roast sliced into rolls       .25 lb butter
> 2 c tyme                    .5 c raisins
> 2c parsley washed, chopped small        .5 tsp mace
> 1c shredded onion           .25 tsp cinnamon
> 2 raw eggs              .25 tsp saffron
>                     .25 tsp salt
> Sauce:
> 1 cup red wine
> 2 tsp sugar
> 1 tsp cinnamon
>
> Combine the stuffing ingredients and fill the roast. Tie the roast into a
> roll. Place the roll into an oven-proof dish . Mix the sauce and pour over
> the roast. Roast at 325 degrees for 1 hr or until meat thermometer reaches
> 140 degrees. Baste occasionally. Slice and serve.This recipe has been adapted
> for a feast by using larger roasts, however, the original recipe calls for a
> smaller steak, stuffed and baked within a pastry pie crust.

> 2lb Blade roast sliced into rolls
What does this mean? Most roasts I can think of are more or less brick
shaped and are not flat. Does this mean get a roast that is sliced
fairly flat? If so, how thick? What do you mean "sliced into rolls"?
Shaped like biscuits or dinner rolls? Or sliced flat for rolling into a
snail/spiral shape?

How do you fill this roast? Do you slice the slices and inject it there?
Or do you mean between two slices and roll them up in the snail shape?

Do you place this snail shape lying on it's side or upright? I assume
the former since that would absorb/keep the sauce on top better.

Thanks.
  Stefan (Often still a beginner cook).

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net