SC - Re: Roast beef kinda long- explanation

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 6 22:24:11 PDT 2000

Hauviette replied to my questions with:
> I'm sorry Stefan! The recipe I posted was from a feast I did and I really
> hadn't thought about the person reading the instructions!

No problem. I don't think everything should be simplified for the beginning
cook. Needless French jargon on the otherhand...

> Here is my explanation,
>
> I had very large roasts to begin with (I forget the particular cut) so I used
> a knife to open them by cutting in a few inches into the roast, then letting
> that fall open and continuing to cut so that I was creating a semi flat piece
> of meat in the end. I think this is called "flaying".
>
> Then I layed the the stuffing on the flayed meat and rolled the whole product
> so that it was kind of like a pinwheel. I tied it with butchers string and
> roasted it. Once it was roasted I cut slices of the roast across the roast so
> that you had a "jelly roll slice".
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks. Yours and Admantinus explanations make it much clearer. Although
one thing is still not totally clear. I'd like to know if I'm guessing
right, though. You are cutting successive slices from opposite sides of
the hunk of beef, right? The cuts would look like:
_____________
|   |   |   |
| | | | | | |
| |   |   | |
- -------------
  A       B

And if you simply stretch out A and B you get the flat piece that
you later roll up. Something like:

- -----^---------^---------^---------
|_________^_________^_________^____|
A                                  B

An interesting technique. I've been thinking about trying one of
these rolled meat recipes since it was first given on this list
several years ago. I remember they did such a dish at a feast I
helped prepare recently, but I wasn't watching how they were
cutting the meat.

For those who'd like to see more of these type of recipes, I
recently created this file:
meat-rolled-msg   (11K)  6/ 9/00    Period dishes of meat rolled with a filling.

I've noticed a fad recently in mundane cooking of folks doing similar
things with various fillings and flat breads or tortillas. I've liked
very few of these I've tried. This sounds much better.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net