SC - REC: A TARTE OF STRAWBERRIES & questions

Sun Jul 9 09:15:37 PDT 2000

The only breads that I know were steamed (or simmered, depending on the
recipe) were puddings and the ones I know of are 16th Century or later.

Medieval breads normally were baked.  Woodcuts, painting, and historical
records bear this out.  White bread was made white by grinding the flour
very fine and sieving out the chisel in two or more boltings.  The ovens may
have been moist from swabbing, but that is different from steaming.

Also, IIRC, the period bread recipes we have call for baking

It is possible that your correspondent is confusing "peggy tub" bread, where
the dough is wrapped and allowed to rise in a pan of water, with steaming.
It is a process first mentioned by Pliny.

I am puzzled by your correspondent's opinion, because I can think of nothing
which would give it a solid base.  I would recommend reading Elizabeth
David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery to provide a broader view of the
history of baking.

Bear