SC - Honey Delight - A recipe (OOP ish) - long

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Mon Jul 10 19:41:56 PDT 2000

In the spirit of my last post, I thought that I would just send this recipe
to the List.

As you may remember, I was looking for recipes to be sold at that College
War.  I ended up making Payn Ragoun, Gingerbrede, and my classic (OOP)
Turkish Delight.  For some reason, the sales at the War were not brilliant,
and also the Payn Ragoun melted into one lunch-box-shaped lump!  There was
another event which called for merchants the next week, however, and I was
able to off-load the sweets there (the Turkish delight kept better than
usual and was still fine for selling there).  My sales were gratifyingly
high and I was able to buy a hood for Jessie, a partlet for me and also a
magazine for my Lady and me (yes, this is grammatically right!) with the
proceeds.  The Gingerbrede  was particularly popular and there was some
interest in a new recipe I was testing out.  This one is also a Delight
recipe, and I am assured by Caterine of the Twisted Woods (sorry, LADY
Caterine - she got her AoA at this event!) and her Pelican (I think Hrolf is
a Pelican, or is he a Laurel - Min???) is very close to the period recipe
they have.  I will be getting that recipe soon, but until then this Honey
Delight recipe is actually pretty good and not too difficult (a bit hard on
the feet and hands - standing and stirring for 30 min is not my idea of
fun!).

Honey Delight (from "Toffees, Fudges, Chocolates and Sweets" by Mary Norwak)

(please remember that this is a British book and uses British Imperial
measurements.  I converted it to metric - because I couldn't find a pint
measure in the kitchen anywhere - but am giving it in the original)

1 lb granulated sugar
1 1/4 pints water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (I wonder if this is necessary - see my notes)
3 oz cornflower
7 oz icing sugar
2 teaspoons rose-water
2 oz clear honey
Few drops of pink food colouring
1/2 oz cornflower         }mixed
1/2 oz granulated sugar }together

Put sugar in a heavy pan with 1/4 pint water and stir over low heat until
all the sugar has dissolved.  Bring to the boil and continue to boil,
without stirring, to 237F/114C (soft ball).  Remove from the heat, stir in
the cream of tartar and leave aside*.  Put the cornflower and icing sugar in
a large pan with 1 pint of water and bring to the boil, stirring
continuously.  Allow to boil for 2 minutes then lower the heat and pour on
the sugar syrup gradually, beating well with a wooden spoon.  Return to the
boil, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring.  Add the rose-water
and honey and mix well.  Pour half the mixture into a lightly greased
shallow 7 in. square tin.  Add colouring to remaining mixture and pour over
the mixture in the tin.  Leave until cold.  Dip a sharp knife in icing sugar
and cut the mixture into 1 in. bars. Coat the bars with the cornflower/sugar
mixture.  Leave for several hours then cut into 1 in. squares.  The pieces
may be coated in cornflower/sugar again if desired**.

* I am not at all sure that the cream of tartar is a good thing.  In theory
(as I understand it) it should keep the mixture from crystallising.  In
practice, the stirring had the effect of doing just that and I had a heck of
a time scraping all the "syrup" from the pan!  Next time I make it, I will
try doing without this (unless anyone on the List can give me a reason for
keeping it in?).
** My Lady, who is my "cutter uperer", used scissors and didn't do the first
step.  Perhaps the resultant pieces would have been a little firmer had she
followed the directions?  Ideas anyone?

Gwynydd of Culloden