SC - viking barley bread

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 07:24:34 PDT 2000

The Recipe

2 cups Barley flour
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons oil (sesame if you have it)
3 1/2 cups boiling water

Ina a heavy pan over medium-low heat, roast the barley flour in 1 T. of the
oil til it smells good and turns darker (but not brown), stirring it so it
doesn't burn.

Mix barley flour, wheat flour, salt and remaining oil in a big bowl.  Use
your fingers to rub in the oil and it is uniform in consistency.  Add the
boiling water all at once and stir quickly.  Being careful not to burn
yourself, work clumps at a time of the dough until it is glossy,uniform and
translucent, then work it all together into one smooth lump.  Divide the
lump into 24 smallish balls.  Shape into bagels (poking a hole through the
ball with a wooden spoon or strong finger works well) they cook more evenly
this way.  Arrange on an oiled sheet(s).  Let sit overnight.  They don't
raise much so pretty much, what you make is what you get.

Bake in an oven, if you have one, or whatever you are using as an oven at
450 for 20 min.  Reduce the heat source to 400 and cook until done, abut
another 40-60 minutes.  They will be darker and harder on the bottom, of
course, so watch they don't turn to stone.

When you get it right, these bagels are rather hard shelled, great for
dunking, and nicely sweet.

I make these on my propane grill quite often and they come out very nicely.
I use an oven thermometer to guide the temp.  Works quite well.

Good luck.  Let me know how you do.
Olwen