SC - Re: Ginestada

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 13:11:30 PDT 2000

I've been fiddling with de Nola too, and I've found a number of recipes that
are also referenced in other works.  Platina mentions a "Mirause" of fowl
cooked in an almond sauce, which is the same basic dish as de Nola's
"Mirrauste".  I have copies of the same recipe in Catalan and Castilian, and
I noticed something odd.  The name in Catalan is given as "Mig-rostit",
which means "half-roasted".  But rather than translating the name, Platina
and de Nola transcribe it into Castilian or Italian.  Weird, huh?  Kinda
like what happened to "paella" in Louisiana...

And as far as there being a crossover in cuisines, wasn't Naples an
Aragonese posession in the 1400s?

Vicente