SC - Borrowing (was Ginestada)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Jul 12 06:44:59 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 12 Jul 00,, that Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> I guess copyright was a pretty flexible thing back then...

I think "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" was one of the mottos
of the publishing industry back then.

> The 1529 Castilian edition of "Libro de Cozina" takes an entire chapter on
> household management from the writings of St. Bernard, and that
> 16th-Century Spanish cookbook that Cariadoc has imaged on his website
> lifts the meat-carving instructions almost verbatim from de Nola.

Did I mention that Granado also contains most of de Nola?  It might be
interesting to compare the carving instructions in there with those from
the 1423 _Arte de Cortar_ by de Villena.

> I wonder how much was added to and changed in its translation from Catalan
> to Castilian...

I don't know, since I haven't yet gotten a copy of _Libre de Coch_.  The
Catalan recipes I've seen quoted from it in Santich's _Original
Mediterranean Cuisine_ look extremely close to their Castilian
"descendants" in de Nola.  I have looked up some recipes from de Nola
in the _Libre de Sent Sovi_, but the ones I have compared are not
identical in ingredients or in wording.

> hmm... could be a paper there...

Could be a book...  :-)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain