SC - Re: > Borrowing (was Ginestada)

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 05:31:22 PDT 2000

>  > > I guess copyright was a pretty flexible thing back then...
>  > I think "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" was one of the
> mottos
>  > of the publishing industry back then.
>
>  Yup. Copyright is an invented concept that's postperiod, though certain
>  forms of plagarism were frowned on. (Others were encouraged: footnoting
>  was a pretty rare in those days.)

Platina "borrowed" almost all of Maestro Martino's work. The rest of his "On
Right Pleasure" was a mishmash of Apicius,  Cato, Varro, Columella, C.Matius,
Pliny and extensive use of Arabic medical treatese.According to Milham  there
were jokes made about how much of Platina's On Right Pleasure and Good
Health, was original material.
There is even a poem written in period that states that Platina's work would
not exist without the work of one "Hippolito Nacci of Amelia"

I'd love to see a timeline of period manuscripts and the trail of their
origins. It has always been a fascination of how what we call (for example)
14th C French cooking manuscripts(Taillevent)are actually based on/derived
from works of an earlier period (Entremets)

Hauviette