SC - Re: now did Vikings drink milk

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Thu Jul 13 17:30:47 PDT 2000

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> Well upon reading it a couple of times it appears to me that what upset
> the heroes wasn't the fact that milk wasn't drunk but that they were
> expecting something a bit stronger.
>
> I've seen several sources that the Norse enjoyed milk, either fresh
> or soured, as a beverage but I don't know if the habit extended to the
> lower countries.

I know the Icelanders diluted whey about 1 part whey to 11 or 12 parts
water and consumed as a beverage. And while it was acceptable to offer
it in hospitality, if you were discovered to have held back the good
stuff (mead, beer, etc) and only offered the whey, the fur would start
to fly. If the whey was all you had, then that was acceptable if
offered. The former happens in Egil's Saga when he finds the innkeeper
has held back the good food and drink, expecting the king, and given
Egil skyr curds and diluted whey. Egil makes known his heartfelt
disappointment at his treatment by the innkeeper, and, er,....'returns'
the curds and whey to his host.

Seumas