SC - Knives

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sat Jul 15 05:25:32 PDT 2000

Hello Seamus.
Thank you for your useful information on knives.  Now I have a direction in
which to start searching!
Phillipa
<<
 First knife to get is a chef's knife, with an even curve to the edge so
 you can rock it back and forth to cut (you don't usually 'chop' but roll
 the blade, someone like a papercutter) and wide enough to keep your
 knuckles from hitting the board when you do. Something in the 6-8"
 range, depending on how big your hands are and what's comfortable. I
 also have a big 12' knife for when I need it. After that, I use a 8"
 utility knife, not quite so wide as a chef's knife. And a _couple_ of
 paring knives, as I use them constantly for small, careful dicing, and
 actually paring. If you plan on butchering a lot of your meats and
 poultry, a 5-6" butcher's knife I recommend. It has more curve towards
 the tip and typically a clipped point. The broad curve near the end
 makes it handy for controlled cutting, especially around a joint.