SC - Re: Bread making Platina style (long)

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Mon Jul 17 12:18:03 PDT 2000

> Unpasturized ales and beers contain Saccharomyces cerevisiae and
> Saccharomyces carlbergensis.  Adding these to a sourdough, is like adding
> dry active yeast.  In fact, baker's yeast is a variety of S. cerevisiae.
> Over time, they don't stand up well to the high acid environment of a
> sourdough starter.

Oops. I didn't mean to add beer barm to your starter, but to get beer barm
and use it as a starter. (I guess it wouldn't be a sourdough starter then,
but it does work. I've used fresh beer barm and also drawn off a starter
from the beer barm...)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"