SC - Re: Bread making Platina style (long)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 18 22:47:55 PDT 2000

Bear said:
> Don't take Stefan "too seriously" on this one.  He's making a jest on my
> baking.

In part I was, yes. But I had heard not to use bread yeast to make
meads. So, I'm glad to be corrected on this point. I've only done a
little mead brewing and that was almost ten years ago. I almost always
used a champagne yeast. The one time I used a mead yeast, I didn't
like the result as well.

I was also thinking of Pug here in my barony who is known for doing a
lot of brewing, especially meads. He can't leave any juice, and I think,
things like milk, uncovered for more than a few minutes or they
start brewing. I imagine Bear's kitchen is very similar except filled
with bread yeasts, so I really don't see the molds having much of
a chance.

> > I don't know...my lord makes both bread and mead...and is
> > highly successful at
> > both.
> >
> > Kiri
> >
> > > Yes, but I bet your *kitchen* has an awlfully high amount
> > of yeast floating
> > > around. :-) Have you ever tried making mead or beer in your
> > house? On second
> > > thought, I'm not sure I'd want to drink it. I've heard that
> > bread yeasts
> > > don't do nice things in mead.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net