SC - Re: Killer cooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 19 20:22:08 PDT 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/18/00 1:41:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> parlei at algonet.se writes:
>
> << You mean they didn't dress down to Saxon, Viking, Generic Early, or
>  Mundane when doing strenuous or dirty work?  >>
>
> The fact of the matter is that anyone from the Elizabethan era that dressed
> in 'full' Elizabethan garb never so much as lifted a knife to butcher a veal
> calf.  I fail to see the point of this thread.....:-(

Funny, since you seem to be in agreement with everyone else on this. I'm
just wondering what Elizabethan English butchers wore when working, and
why it doesn't qualify as "full Elizabethan". Presumably there is some
kind of jargon involved, but whose? Is this modern costuming terminology
(which might have some defensible basis in reality, or might not),
arbitrary SCAdian pseudolanguage (which probably doesn't), or did Lady
Elinor Fettiplace record, in her diary, having worn "my fulle
Elizabethan" on her wedding day...?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy