SC - Anise & Fennel

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Thu Jul 20 21:18:33 PDT 2000

At 02:18 PM 7/20/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:23:12 EDT
>From: ChannonM at aol.com
>Subject: SC - Re: A fennel question
>
>Some of you may recall that I'm working on a feast from Platina. One of the
>vegetables I am going to use is fennel root, basted with olive oil,salt and
>peppered and roasted (hopefully over a fire).
>
>I've looked at pictures of fennel and anise. It appears that they are fairly
>different (at least in some period references) even though they have a
>similar taste (licoricey). I quickly checked out references in Root's "Food".
>Now, when perusing my fruits and veges isle at the local Grocers, I have seen
>what appears to be fennel root labelled as anise. I bought it anyway to try
>it out and it sure tastes like fennel.
>
>Was this a goof up on the part of the grocer, or are they so closely related
>that even their roots taste the same? If someone tells me they are one and
>the same, I will voluntarily crawl under that rock.
>
>Hauviette

What did you guys ever do without me?  GRIN!  Perhaps some of you have a
copy of this trusty AMERICAN HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY A TO Z ENCYCLOPEDIA OF
GARDEN PLANTS.  It lists information for more than 15,000 plant
species.  If you are interested in ordering a copy you can get it from
www.dk.com using the reference number us96659h (at least until August 31,
maybe longer?).

FOENICULUM
Fennel
Apiaceae
Genus of one species of aromatic perennial or biennial, native to rich,
well-drained soils in sunny, coastal area in Europe, especially the
Mediterranean. The perennial F. vulgare is used to flavor foods; the
biennial F. vulgare var. Azoricum is grown for its edible, swollen stem
base.  Both forms have slender stems and filely cut, anise-flavored
leaves.  They bear flat umbels of yesllow flowers, followed by aromatic
seeds.  Grow as foliage plants in an herb or wild garden; darker leaved
cultivars provide contrast in a perennial border.

(There is more information about Cultivation, Propagation, Pests and
Diseases, and variations of the species.)

ILLICIUM
Illiciaceae
Genus of about 40 species of aromatic, evergreen shrubs and trees from
woodland in S.E. Asia, S.E. US, and the West Indies.  They are cultivated
for their thick glossy leaves, borne alternately or in near-whorls, their
unusual flowers, which are composed of numerous tepals; and their woody
star-shaped fruits.  Where temperatures fall below 23 degrees F (-5 C),
grow in a cool greenhouse.  Elsewhere, grow in a woodlnd garden or shrub
border.  Seeds of I anisatum are toxic if ingested.
((There is more information about Cultivation, Propagation, Pests and
Diseases, and variations of the species.)
The species I think most of us are familiar with is Star Anise:
I. verum (Chinese anise, Star anise) Small, rounded, evergreen tree with
inversely lance shaped to narrowly elliptic, sharply tapered, glossy, dark
green leaves, to 6 in (15 cm) long.  Star-shaped flowers, 1/2 in (1.5 cm)
across, with pink or red -flushed yellow tepals, are borne in ealry summer,
followed by glossy, red-brown fruit. 60 ft. (18m) tall by 20 ft. (6m).
China, Vietnam, Zones 7-9.

There.  have I FINALLY been able to contribute something USEFUL to this list???
- -Laurene