SC - Smithsonian dinner

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jul 21 18:25:20 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/19/00 1:43:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tinyzoo at aracnet.com writes:

<<  Sometimes it seems like people  on this list automatically assume the
rest of the world is made up of  idiots though, >>

This is without a doubt usually the case especially if such feasts are
associated with centers of learning which usually means 'centers that pass on
outdated and completely dumb information regarding medieval cookery.'

<<and it is frustrating to me to encounter this subtle hostility.>>

That is because the people that form these 'events' seldom if ever consult
with those of us who really know the field. They rely on folks who are part
of a 'discipline' which seldom goes beyond the past errors that have been
passed on among themselves and never looks for people outside their 'old
boy's club' who might have a handle on the project they are ding.

 << Don't people here ever give outsiders the benefit-of-the-doubt? >>

Well,...yes. But that benefit of the doubt has never panned out in my
experience. As they say, 'Once burned.......'  Our local culinary school
still teaches their students that medieval food is awful tasting and highly
spiced despite numerous attempts to educate the supposed educators. From my
own experience, anyone that has the title of professor or doctor that
proclaims to the public that they are doing a medieval feast without fail
does not even come close to the truth in their presentation and to make
matters worse they completely ignore anyone who tries to point out the error
of their ways.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/