SC - Pasta Machine (OP)

twila hoon hoontw at libra.unm.edu
Mon Jul 24 14:06:50 PDT 2000

>So is this a sort of laundry-mangle device with smooth rollers and
>rolling cutters, or some kind of extruding thing? Do you have to crank
>it? And finally, can you describe the unidentified slot in greater
>detail? The one that isn't for either flat sheets or fettucine? It may
>be for kneading, if it has smooth rollers but they're further apart than
>the ones for flat sheets. The only pasta machines I'm really familiar
>with are the ones that have two rollers for flat sheets (thickness is
>variable) with a pair of brackets for mounting a cutter for either
>fettucine or linguine-ish pasta, or a ravioli-filler-and-cutter, both
>operated by the same crank in another drive opening.
>
>Adamantius
>--

It has the handle, and the first slot is the smooth rollers to make sheets
out of with a guage to adjust the thickness, I found some generic
instructions in the Dummies Italian Cookbook which say to continue feeding
the dough through that slot until you've thinned it out.  The next slot is
the one I've tentatively identified as for fettucine, a roller with 'teeth'
to cut into the dough into strips, the third hole has smaller
'teeth/divits' then the fettucine one so maybe spagetti or angel hair??
The crank operates the rollers by shifting from drive opening to another -
and all turn smoothly -- I am going to attempt to use it on THursday and
see what happens -- I've always got dried stuff :).
I am hoping though that the generic instructions will work -- any other
suggestions?