SC - Glaedenfeld Centre Doins

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jul 24 22:28:56 PDT 2000

> << I'll also be harvesting 4 acres of organic sunflowers
>  at the end of August.  Looks like I'll get about 3
>  tons or so of sunflower seeds.  I didn't have any
>  local brewers want the 6 acres of organic barley,
>  so I plowed it under.  Too bad. >>
>
> Well, I'll pay a premium price for some of those sunflower seeds :)  I am the
> King of sunflower seeds here in my area!  Love 'em.

What do you have to do to turn these fresh sunflower seeds into the ones
like you get in the grocery stores? Dry them? Salt them?

> As for the barley, if you do it again, let me know.  I may be interested in
> buying a few 50# bags from you.  I don't malt my own barley for brewing (too
> complicated for my active, on-the-go lifestyle...), but I do use it for
> baking, cooking, and eating for breakfast (with heavy cream, honey, and dried
> apricots or sun-dried cranberries...)
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

And again, what do you need to do to turn these fresh barley seeds into
the stuff you eat for breakfast? Do you have to bake them? shell them?

And if it is easy to turn this fresh barley into breakfast cereal, why
did it take until the late 19th century for the cold breakfast cereal
to become common? Is there some advantage of gruel over cold breakfast
cereal? Is there some industrial process that needed to be invented?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net