SC - Full (up to here) Elizabethan

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Jul 26 07:34:24 PDT 2000

Ras wrote about the Term "Full Elizabethan"
> The term is not a period term SFAIK.

Sigh...
So what?
The only period term for the Elizabethan Period was "now".
The Elizabethans never called themselves that.
They called themselves "English".

We, living, as we do, in times far removed from that era, NEED LABELS
to distinguish the culture of that period from other cultures.

"Elizabethan" is a "Term of Art" used by historians to refer to the time
and culture contemporaneous with the reign of Elizabeth I.

"Full Elizabethan" is a "Term of Art" used by Costumers (in and out
of the SCA, regardless of who started it) to refer to the elaborate court
garb worn in the time and culture contemporaneous with the reign
of Elizabeth I.

It is only a label, a memnonic, and it does not matter ONE LITTLE
BIT who came up with the term and when, so long as you know
what I mean when I say it.

Can we lose this thread? it is not the most unproductive thread we
have seen on this list, but it is coming damnably close.

Brandu