SC - Really OT: cosmetics

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 23:27:13 PDT 2000

- --- Jeanne Stapleton <apiskp at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Lip liner.  Oh goodness.  My latest cultural cringe
> comes from the custom--it seems very prevalent in
> Hispanic populations, but I'm sure is not restricted
> to them--of putting on very dark lip liner outside
> the lip area...then letting the lipstick or gloss
> wear off during the day and not replace it.  I have
> to make myself not stare in stores and such.  It
> looks so...odd.
>
> Berengaria
> who has really virulent "tear chemistry" that fights
> any known mascara, sometimes to a draw  (also chews
> through contact lenses at twice the manufacturer's
> suggested replacement rate)

I have seen that custom frequently, and recently have
seen several young Hispanic teenagers with outlined
lips, not only with dark lip liner, but with the lip
lines going far beyond their normal lip lines.
Several I have seen had such peculiar outlines they
looked [in my opinion] like cartoon girls with
Betty-Boop kind of lips.  The upper lip looked like a
capital M and the lower lip look like a capital W.
I know that fashion changes from generation to
generation, but all I could think of was "how could
this pretty girl think this would enhance her beauty?"
One was a cashier at a local market. It took all my
self-control to not giggle whenever I looked at her.

Huette