SC - Smithsonian dinner

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Thu Jul 27 08:31:35 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/27/00 7:46:55 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Bronwynmgn at aol.com writes:

<< I never said anything about modern
 palates, since I don't believe that such a thing exists. >>

I was paraphrasing. I didn't intend to quote you, or I would have put it in
same.

<< If I'm correct in how the thread has gone, then how can one be upset with
an article for not offering "period" recipes when it states out front it has
no intention of doing so?>>

<Nowhere in the article did it state that they had no intention of offering
period recipes.  What it had was a recipe section entitled "medieval-style
rubs and marinades for the modern grillmeister". >

"Medieval-style, however, by the very term used, refers to something that is
"in the style of" and not necessarily offered as an 'accurate portrayal of'.
As example, a Gautier dress from his Spring collection has a lace ruff over a
fitted jacket, with a bodice connected to a full cartridge pleated skirt. His
comment on this is it is an "Elizabethan-style" dress. He is **not** saying
it is an authentic recreation of an Elizabethan Dress, but that it has
'elements pulled from the Elizabethan period of manner of dress', most
noticeably the ruff, the cartridge pleats and bodice. I assume, and I think
most normal mundanes and rational people could assume, that when they see
something that is stated to be "Midieval-Style" that it is not going to be a
an accurate recreation of the Midieval, but have elements of the style of
that type of meal. In this case, probably having to do with the cooking
elements of it, as that was what seemed to be represented as pretty accurate
for period.

< I was commenting on the fact that they were hardly in any medieval style
with which I was familiar, and that all of them, without exception, contained
foodstuffs not used or known in Europe duuring the medieval time period.>

Okay, so they were not known in Europe during period. Some of them, I
understand were not period anywhere (I'm thinking the Bell Peppers here,
which has been brought up before on the list). But not all of the items were
not "period" as they were used in other countries in the timeline (Soy
Sauce). So, what you actually mean to assert, I'm guessing, is that the items
were not 'regionally period to Europe'; Soy Sauce has since been stated to
have been regionally period to China long before our timeline. Did the
article purport to be asserting that the style of recipes were regionally
isolated to Europe? I don't recall that being asserted. But, either way, and
I'm really not trying to start/continue/beat an argument here, since they
never said that they were giving period recipes, but recipes for the 'modern
grillmeister'; I wouldn't fault them for having them not be accurate in their
content. In fact, I would expect it.

Lars