SC - Re: A question of re-creation

Jeff Brainard marcocaprioli at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 23:52:02 PDT 2000

Constanza la belissima e scribete:

a judge on one of my liqueurs
> marked me
> down for not having grown my own cardamom.  When I asked her about
> the
> comment she said that she had looked at my cooking entries and
> noticed that I
> grew my own ingredients there and expected the same of the spices in
> my
> brewing entries

(snippety snip)

My bad
> and I
> deserved to lose points for it in my opinion.

No, Constance, it is in no way "your bad" that she marked you down for
having purchased the spice, which is quite acceptable and authentic in
this case. It is, indeed, the judge's fault entirely. Since that S&M, I
have gotten quite a number of comments from the people I judged in the
competition along the lines of: you were one of the most helpful judges
I've ever had; you did exactly what we've always fantasized a good and
fair judge would do. To wit: I was as objective as I could be, setting
aside my personal likes and dislikes in regard to preference, I took
the entries *at face value* and gave construstive criticism without
using a verbal machete, and I suggested how each of the entries could
be BETTER (not good, but better) and I suggested how their respective
documentations could be better, more understandable, more effectively
presented, and more thourough. The category I judged was the performing
arts, having myself grown up on the stage and in the rehearsal room.
Granted, as I am also a Shakespearean scholar and highly versed in
music, I have a much stronger base of knowledge and specifics on which
to draw for my comments, but this in no way means that everyone can't
do this.

Again, my two pfennigs

Marcello

=====
Marcello di Caprioli, Ornament of Artemisia
Shire of Silver Keep
The Glorious Kingdom of Artemisia