SC - Sweet Tisane

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 30 20:16:40 PDT 2000

Beatrix of Tanet gave us a beverage recipe and then said:
> the reason I'm asking (besides mere curiosity) is that I have a booth at the
> Taste of Postville on the 27th of Aug. Since there is a large chance of my
> doing the cooking part of the booth by myself, I'd thought that having a
> medieval drink booth would be easiest  prep-wise. So I've been looking for
> non-alcohol drinks, preferably cold ones.

You might want to look at one of the jalab drinks, sugar syrup based
drinks, the most widely known being Sekanjabin but there are many others.
I think these are probably more Middle-Eastern or Adulsuan(sp?) than
medieval Europe, though. For a few recipes check the following file in
the BEVERAGES section of my Florilegium and Master Cariadoc's Miscellany.
jalabs-msg        (48K) 12/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).

I assume you are looking for non-alcoholic beverages? You might also
want to check these files:
beverages-NA-msg  (80K)  9/ 2/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.
infusions-msg      (8K)  1/20/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.
kvass-msg         (71K)  6/20/00    Russian drink made from bread or grains.

I don't know how well barley tea or kvass would go over though, with the
general public, so I think this tisane or a jalab might do better if
you can't do an alcoholic drink like a quick cider or beer.

Is a "tisane" a particular type of beverage? Or just the name of just
this one? Is it another word for an "infusion" or "tea"?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net