SC - Greetings, passing on a question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 1 03:44:06 PDT 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> > looked like eggdrop soup.<<
> >
> > Broth was too hot.  If you add the eggs to luke-warm broth, beat in well,
> > then heat, they thicken.
>
> So I didn't sette it fro the fyre long enough? Hmm. Sounds about right.
> Sigh. Serves me right for trying to cook in the dark.

A modernish trick that makes this procedure pretty well foolproof
(although I've never tried it in the dark!) is to beat up your egg yolks
in a large mixing bowl, then ladel your broth into the bowl with the
eggs, a bit at a time, beating it as you go. This is the "tempering"
Balthazar spoke of; the idea is to protect the delicate egg proteins
from sudden temperature shifts, especially upward ones. When you have
all your broth in the bowl, or at least most of it, and the bowl is
almost full, then pour it back into the pot and heat it until thick. You
still can't let it boil, but if you have enough yolks it'll thicken it
with an uncurdled, velvety texture.

This process is also used for fine custards, BTW: you know, where you
add scalded milk or cream in a thin stream to your cold egg yolks,
beating constinuously, then return to the pot or double boiler and
reheat until thickened...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy