SC - Marmite

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Jun 1 07:16:32 PDT 2000

To the List,
As promised, I contacted my friend who made the lovely lavender jelly as
Twelfth Night gifts some time back.  I doubt very seriously that it is a
period recipe, but thought you all might enjoy it anyhoo...so here it
is:

.  3Tbsp dried lavender flowers (or 1/2 c. fresh) to 3c water (recipe
says distilled, I use tap).  Put flowers in glass bowl, boil water, pour

over, cover & let steep.

Take 2c. strained infusion, 1/4c. cider vinegar, 4c sugar.  Bring to
full
boil, stir in 1 pkg. liquid pectin.  Stir constantly.  Bring to a boil
that
can't be stirred down, then boil 1 minute.  Remove from heat, skim foam,
jar
up as for regular jelly.
  Since this uses modern pectin, it's not period.  But you might try
making
apple juice as for jelly, bringing to boil & making the infusion with
that,
and then returning to the boil and making apple jelly.  Alternatively,
make
a very strong infusion (double or triple the lavender) and add a cup or
so to
apple juice/sugar mixture as for regular jelly.  Since it has to go to
jelly
stage anyway, the extra water should go byebye...?

This is from one Master James of Rutland, OL.  His Laurel is for music,
but he is expert in all things horticultural.

Hope you all enjoy it!

Kiri