SC - Digest 2327

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Thu Jun 1 08:07:58 PDT 2000

> Sounds like roulades of beef or aloes of beef, or beef rolls.  How would
> the rolls be affixed, with string or toothpicks is the usual method,
> although none is mentioned here.
Sure there is, I think you just missed it. At the end is the instruction:
"Put hem on a broch; rost hem"
("Put them on a spit, and roast them")

As I do it, I take the rolled slices of beef, and thread them on skewers
and slap em on the "barbie". My folks _love_ this recipe.

( it is very good for catering, IMHO, cause it can be baked, as well,
and the portionings are very controllable.)

My folks were kinda shocked to find out that the recipe was essentially
the same as was served in 14th century England...

I'll post my redaction later. FWIW, this works with a cheaper cut of meat
because of the addition of fat to the mix.

brandu