SC - Small Beer?

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Thu Jun 1 13:24:20 PDT 2000

Gunthar skrev:

>Probably the Sunday of the second week.

OK, that'll work. Plan on coming down for dinner Sunday evening. We'll be
doing my Mumbledieth birthday (an excuse for a party, as if we need one ;-)
on Saturday night, with the roast duck, so I'll be cooking the enchiladas on
Sunday with the leftover duck. Since I'll need the beans early that day to
start cooking, I'd better rely on Christianna for them. Besides, I think we
need to talk....

>So far my plans are to make three types: mild, medium and mild vegetarian
with
>sauces, peppers and condiments on the side. I will try to not have beans in
the
>chili but that will depend on how much fundage I get. I'm sure there will
be
>one or two gentles that will be making their special nuclear chili for the
>macho amongst us.

Dunno if this will help, and I'm not sure how you make your chili, but,
while I usually make mine with beans, I've found out, over the years, that
if I start with one pot with the meat and the base spices, then split the
pot into two, one of which has the hot peppers (lots ;-) and the other of
which doesn't and label them "Hot" and "Not", this allows the diners to mix
and match their preferred blend of heat, while maintaining the basic overall
flavor. It's been very effective in educating midwesterners who think chili
is chili soup (beans, hamburger and tomato sauce with maybe some chili
powder, onions, and <shudder> green peppers, often served over spaghetti-
I'll admit I'm partial to rice with my beans). I have also made it with a
basic meat (usually thin sliced steak, but frequently adding meats of
opportunity, like pork, venison, chicken and lamb) chili, with beans and
rice on the side- and lots of cornbread.

Let me know how things are looking for clean-up. Quite possibly, some of our
people will be willing to help out the next morning, particularly if the
assistance includes breakfast ;-) Have an interesting recipe for Frijoles
Negros con Huevos, which would be no stress, and I'm sure I could make you
some tortillas to go with- if you're interested, that is.

Question for you- how do you make a meatless, beanless chili for the
vegetarians?

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous