SC - Coleman oven

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jun 1 20:13:47 PDT 2000

Poor Adamantius screv:
 (and how come nobody on this list warned me valerian stinks so bad???)
	Dude, sorry, I would've told you if you'd asked.  It stinks.  Really
bad.  It has volunteered all over my yard, and while it's pretty, the
blooms and especially the bruised stems smell like ripe, sweaty socks.
When the dogs go out running through it, I can smell it on them for days.

> You know I'm really tired and in pain (tooth problem) when I look at
> the above and start wondering why Mistress Christianna is asking about
> fizzy lifting drinks, stolen or otherwise...

	I don't even want to know what you're talking about here...

> Okay, rather than tell you again all about SCA funds, let's try
> another way to put this in perspective. You know drinks like Malta
Goya, or
> the various near-beers, which are theoretically non-alcoholic, at least

> for practical purposes? Once upon a time, these beverages (before
> pasteurization of beers) logged in at under 1% alcohol. Modern,
> crappy American beer, that awful pseudo-pilsener made with lovely stuff

> like unmalted rice and corn, measure in at something like 5-6% or less.
> would guess, very rough estimate, y'unnerstand, that small beer gets
> you something like 2%. Of course it varies greatly depending on how the

> malt was mashed, for example, if it was a hot mash and there are a lot
of
> dextrins, and therefore fewer fermentable sugars, the ale is lower
> in alcohol, and a second running will be commensurately lower.

	Yes, yes, I know all about the legality issues, I'm trying to find out
what the parameters are, I guess.  I think your answer above tells me
what I was assuming, (and we all know where that will get you), that
near-beer is presumably close to small beer.  Would near-beer be ok to
serve at an event?  If so, and you made something that was under whatever
the allowable  %  of alcohol was, can you serve it?  (For the purposes of
this argument, let's assume we're not talking about donated goods, but
raw materials purchased with feast funds, then turned into fizzy drinks.)

Still questing for answers, when yet more questions come up,
Christianna