SC - Coleman oven

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Thu Jun 1 23:25:49 PDT 2000

asking  about fizzy lifting drinks, stolen or otherwise...

> > I don't even want to know what you're talking about here...
>
> Good, 'cause I'm going to tell you. If you are either a) a case of
> arrested development, or b) the parent of a young child (in which
> case I'm doubly qualified, it seems) you will have encountered the
movie
> version of Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory",
> watizzit, "Willy Wonka and etc."? A major plot hinge centers on the
alleged
> theft of fizzy lifting drinks. Which, considering the Fleischmann's
yeast
> used in lemon beer, seemed apropos...

	I do not have any young children, not two-legged ones, anyway, and they
can't reach the tv, and Willy Wonka is not in my substantial movie
collection.  But I have seen it, read the book even longer ago, and
vaguely remember the scene in question.

> Now, this is all theoretical. Of course, if one wanted to make
> doubly sure and donate the materials so as to avoid SCA liability, and
> thereby risk incurring personal liability to an unknown extent, I will
point
> out that five gallons of such ale, probably enough for at least forty
> breakfasts, would probably cost about $8 - 10 US, and that's in
> devalued New York currency ;  ).
>
> Of course, I could not in good conscience advise such a course...
>
> Adamantius seenoevilhearnoevilspeaknoevilnohablaespanol

Why?  What I am after here is a way to serve something period, within the
limits of the SCA bylaws and Copora.  If one can determine the level at
which fizz does not equal alcohol (my lord tells me it is below .05%),
and prepare a beverage that stays under that acceptable level, why would
the course not be sound?
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not a big beer drinker, and wouldn't relish
it at breakfast.  But, over and over again in the sources it says so much
wine, ale and beer or small beer.  My next step in this logic is that it
should be possible to water down wine to a similar level of acceptable
alcohol levels, and serve that (please don't jump on me for not telling
folks there's wine in something, or not having  an alternative.  I
wouldn't do that.)    Isn't there a way to do this, short of buying
O'Doul's and serving that at brekkers?
Christianna