SC - Chili Party

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jun 2 08:44:15 PDT 2000

Hmm...I've seen this on the hist-brewing list as well (IIRC) but I have necer been able to understand it.
Yeast cells all have the same cell wall construction ie a lipid bilayer and the ionic/salt concentration inside the cell would probably be about the same for most yeast species which will (probably) rule out osmotic rupture of the yeast cells.  The enzymes most likely have slightly different biochemical pathways since the produce phenols, higher alcohols etc differently as well as having different preferred working temperatures.
So, here's the part I can't understand....
Why does everyone claim that ale yeast won't ferment anything higher than 9-11% by volume ???
Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had any trouble with ale yeast from pure cultures or in the form of baking yeast but the latter takes a loooong time to sediment though.
My meads are usually made to 13-15% and occasion I've reached 17%.  I add just a little smidge of nutrient and let the glass jar sit on the floor at 18-20C/64-68F to bubble away.
If I use fruit I usually boil it briefly to avoid wild yeast.

Bal... if the ale yest fails at such a low percentages I dare say you're treating it wrong somehow.
What's your brewing procedure/fermenting temp etc ?

/Angus MacIomhair

>Another advantage to using baking yeast in a low/non-alcoholic brew is that
>baking yeast will die off at lower alcohol levels.  However, since we are on
>the subject, "Eagle" brand baking yeast (professional yeast) is composed of
>nothing less the sachromyces cerivicea (sp?), or our tried and true ale
>yeast.  I have used it to make ales, and have been marginally satisfied with
>the results.  While there has never been a "bready" flavor, it does fizzle
>out at lower alcohol levels (about 3.8 to 4.3 percent in my experiments).
>
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

==
A mosquito cried out in pain:
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"

The cause of his sorrow
was para-dichloro-
diphenyltrichloroethane.

[DDT is easier to say, but it doesn't rhyme.]