SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2330

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Fri Jun 2 09:16:47 PDT 2000

James F. Johnson wrote:

> Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
> >
> > I bought a Coleman oven a while back, and at a camping event this
> > weekend I got to try it out.  It's the kind that is a collapsible metal box
> > which sits over a burner of a propane stove.  I only used it once, and
> > that was to make some biscuits.  Judging by the thermometer in the
> > door, I could not get the oven as hot as the 425 F that the recipe called
> > for.

[chomp]

> While the oven is convenient by it being collapsible into a 12-14" x 3"
> x 3" package and having a front opening door, it just seems very
> inefficient heat wise. Especially for US$45. Not sure I want to find out
> for that investment.

I have one of these, and I have an evil time trying to get it above
say 350 deg, especially on windy days.  However, the most irritating
thing about it is that the racks keep falling into the bottom--they
fit only just perfectly, see, and don't lock into place. :-/ I also
find it worked poorly on the standard Coleman double-burner stove; it
works much better on this huuuge burner we call the jet engine.
Which, alas, we won't have this year--if I use the oven at all, I'm
going to put it on a rack above the fire pit.  I'm guessing that
should work according to the same principles.

Vika
slowly emerging from a pile of 4000 back posts