SC - Re: Aoife's Complaint

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 10:15:38 PDT 2000

angus at iamawitch.com writes:

> Bal... if the ale yest fails at such a low percentages I dare say you're
> treating it wrong somehow.
>  What's your brewing procedure/fermenting temp etc ?

Actually, I was referring to using baking yeast in ale, not mead.  I have
always used Pris de Mouss yeast for my meads, and have found that, in my
area, it usually caps out at about 16-17%.  Not a problem.  However, when i
have used baking yeast to make ale, it fizzles out fairly soon.  I do believe
the yeast strain used for baking (though I am no microbiologist) is a less
alcohol tolerant strain.  I could be wrong, though, but I seem to recall that
the yeast is cultured to enhance its carbon-dioxide production qualities over
its alcohol production. Controlled genetic mutation, I think.  I'll search
the trunk of my car for the references :)

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?