SC - Recipe Challenge again??? "Alosed Beef"

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 16:39:43 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: twila hoon <hoontw at libra.unm.edu>
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Date: Friday, June 02, 2000 6:52 PM
Subject: SC - Query

>Greeting, couple of quick questions I wanted to throw out nad see what
>people thought.
>
>First, on precooking for a feast, what have people found to be an okay time
>period for bread freezing - so that it still maintains edibility?
Rarely do I freeze bread, most sites we use have Hobarts and convection
ovens.  When I do freeze breads it seems that whole grains hold up better
than white bread.  A month is about as long as I've held bread in the
freezer.  To keep the bread from getting a freezer taste I fist wrap it in
freezer wrap then foil.

>Second- what have people found to be acceptable for deep freezing meat, my
>butcher has - assured- me that most of the meats I have purchased in the
>past will freeze past 6mos with the exception of the ground meats.
>Personally, I don't like to keep meat very long even frozen but I will be
>doing the Midwinter feast for my group and would like suggestions on how
>long I can (without sacrificing safety or flavor or appearance) purchase
>meat on sale.
I don't have much storage space so I buy meat the Thurs or Fri of the event,
but arrange with my supplier at least a month before what I need to make
sure it's on hand.  I go through a local wholesaler.  The quality is well
worth the few pennies more.