SC - Chili Classification

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 2 19:07:13 PDT 2000

allilyn at juno.com wrote:

> Gwen says:  I think I would liken Mus more to pudding than to Pate.  As
> Pate in my mind  conjures something pressed, or very firm, that could be
> cut or sliced and a  Mus is softer than that>>
>
> Ok, getting closer.  So, what would the word for pate' be?

The trouble is that within this discussion there are at least two
definitions of pate, and the funny thing is that the spreadable
definition is in fact a mousse, while the slicable version is,
technically, a terrine unless it's encased in pastry. A terrine being
the earthenware mold the stuff is cooked in. I'd agree that "mus"
conjures up both a puddingy consistency and ingredient base. I see this
as a cognate of the word "mush", and I would tend to think of this as a
starchy food. "Brei" I would liken to the word "puree", since I suspect
it is brayed in a mortar, and doesn't really connote any particular ingredient.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com