SC - KW Bardic and KW Cooks' Symposium

alysk@ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 3 05:16:28 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I think what Gunthar is talking about are
> deep fried chunks or balls of cornbread.  I've usually heard these
> called "hush puppies" and served with seafood or catfish.
>
> Sounds like a pretty "heavy" or greasy meal.

Well, what's yer point? (Privately, I might agree.) There are those who
maintain that chili is not chili unless it has a respectable layer of
grease on top. H. Allen Smith, one of the original Terlingua chili
cookoff contestants (beans _and_ tomatoes, IIRC... yecchh!) used to
repeatedly speak ill of "Texas chili" (this is a stylistic designation
having nothing to do with geography) and its alleged tendency toward
greasiness. Smith was a native of Kansas, if memory serves, and was a
resident of Mount Kisco, New York, at the time of his involvement in the
Chili Wars. Everybody knows Mount Kisco is one of the great bastions of
fine chili... there... I said it without BWOOOOO HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

> I think the rice
> idea sounds better. Particularly when you drink a lot of mead
> with it, which there was plenty of two years ago.

Chili and mead? Chili and _mead_??? Good heavens! I don' know about
that... Maybe, with that combination, tortillas with honey (which is, I
gather, a Texas classic) might make a good bridge?

So, Gunthar, what about these corn rockets?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com