SC - You think it's not period??

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jun 5 14:45:29 PDT 2000

Suleyman, in an old message I missed, wrote:

>  >     The documentation she mentioned includes several period recipes from
>  > Ottoman Turkey, all calling for tomatoes or tomato sauce.  (You
>remember the
>  > Ottomans, don't you?  At one point they ruled half of Europe, in
>case no one
>  > remembers.)

What was the original source? I haven't found any period Turkish
cookbooks, and would be happy to know of them if they exist.

"Half of Europe" is a bit of an exaggeration. The Balkans, the
majority of Hungary, and more or less everything south and east of
there. It might come to a quarter the land area of Europe, although I
think even that would be a little high.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I believe Jan Longone cites a
16th c. reference to people eating tomatoes in Italy.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/