SC - Cariadoc's Books

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 04:02:12 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> If I remember correctly, the skins on grapes and raisins are a good source
> of yeasts. It may simply be that adding a few raisins was a good source
> of yeast. Of course nowadays since we can buy dried yeasts the raisins
> would not be needed for this.

It's possible. FWIW, both the Plat Bottle Ale recipe and the kvass
recipe I used did call for other yeast sources for primary fermentation.
It _is_ possible, I suppose, that you get a different product,
flavorwise, with the addition of a small amount of a more wine-like
yeast, but I don't see it as necessary for either the main fermentation
or carbonation in a bottled product.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy