SC - 90 ingredients Holloptrida translation

Tue Jun 6 06:44:58 PDT 2000

Adamantius (long may he wave) did write:

> Oh, definitely! A terrine, though, is generally made from raw meat,
> etc., packed into an earthenware pot/mold, and baked, while a mortrews
> is, as far as I know, invariably made from minced, and pounded,
> previously cooked meat, then thickened with bread or other starchy
> stuff.
Heiatt has a Caudon of Beef in an "Ordinance of Pottage", which reads
as a minced beef mixture, which is molded, and cooked in a "Coffin".

> As for the idea of mortrews being molded, it's a nice idea, and
> makes sense, but how much evidence do you really have for this actually
> being done? It occurs to me that unless you have a recipe or a specific
> reference to mortrews in connection with molds, a feast description, or
> some such (which you may actually have, for all I know), it would be
> hard to make that strong a case for it. Of course it's still perfectly
> viable as speculation.

My personal theory is that they used Prebaked molded shells of Coffin dough
as baking dishes. Then the Dough could be broken off and given to the
staff, or given out with the crusts to the poor.
Certainly a number of forcemeat type recipes seem to be placed in coffins
but dont otherwise read likwe pie recipes. I think that it is likely that they
used coffin dough a lot like we sometimes bake with aluminum foil today.
as a disposible dish or dish liner to aid cleanup.

FWIW, a hard coffin shell, infused with meat juices, egg, and fat would
be dandy dog fare, and I think a thrifty household would find a way use
them, without waste.

brandu