SC - Help!!

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Jun 6 18:31:30 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/6/00 3:42:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Elaine Koogler
writes:

"Good Gentles All,
I want to thank you for your suggestion for doing a discussion of period
foods at demos.  The one to which I refer is where you have foods from
both the old and new worlds and ask the participants to determine which
is which."

I did the same last Sunday at the Old Port Festival demo in Portland, ME
(Province of Malagentia). This is our 3rd(?) year having a set up at this
event. The Festival draws 20-40,000 people each year. We have the fighting,
fencing, dancing, etc. I set up a display of various gowns that billow nicely
in the breeze and help encourage folks to come over to the other end of our
area and see the A&S stuff. This year another Cooks Guild member and I set up
this "foods challenge". I also made and brought a basket of gingerbread
samples as rewards for participation. It was a great hit with the public. Two
other Guild members helped cover so that someone was always there to
encourage and aid the players. Even many of the SCAdians that were there
working on the other aspects of the demo came over to try their hands at the
challenge. Of course, the local news showed the fighters and spoke with the
Chatelaine, but we got our 2 cents in there, too. We are doing a smaller
festival demo in another town this Saturday so I'll set up again. Then on
Sunday I am teaching a newbie class on period food, so it will come out once
again!
My thanks to the previous posters that talked about this idea.
Aelfwyn