SC - German Elizabethan???

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 08:41:11 PDT 2000

A lot of the dark bread recipes call for chocolate or coffee to deepen the
color of the bread or they use dark molasses as the sweetner.  They do this
because to get a good rise requires adding wheat flour for the gluten which
lightens the color.

Pumpernickle tends to use whole grain dark rye flour (pumpernickle flour)and
dark molasses.  Check the ingredients list to be sure.  Or prepare the bread
yourself.

Bear