SC - SOT - funny

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Jun 8 10:11:00 PDT 2000

  It is simular.  Of course the way we feed chickens today is far different
than in period.  I try to use eggs from free range chickens, as the yoaks
are more dense and go into emulision better than super market eggs. The
choices of preperations for the surface that you are going to paint on, can
be a bit tricky, as egg tempora will not "stick" to gesso that has an acrlic
or synthic base.  Only gesso made from rabbit skin glue and chalk can be
relied upon to give a satisfactory ground for the painting of egg tempora.
  Then there is the use of modern pigments. Old fashion "school
tempora"(powdered) tempora paint is getting harder and harder to find.  It
has been replaced by acrlic pre-mixed paints.
   There are several sites in the inernet that give good comparisons between
modern techniques and the orginals.  When I get home(where the books are and
my computer with the bookmarks) I will post some of the sites.

   Lady Katherine McGuire