SC - Re: Scottish help

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Jun 9 13:39:56 PDT 2000

At 9:18 AM -0400 6/9/00, Jenne Heise wrote:
>  > I haven't matched them up dish for dish, but that's my observation. These
>  > manuscripts may have been brought to Scotland, but I don't believe they
>  > originate there. Does the author of the compilation of these
>recipes specify
>  > her sources other than commenting on the dates?
>
>Further question: if they were NOT originating in Scotland, but the recipe
>book was known in Scotland in the period, and the dishes were documentably
>served in Scotland in period, would that be sufficient?

The "recipe book" that Jenne is referring to is a manuscript, not a
printed book; the first printed cookbook in Europe is Platina, late
15th century. So you would need evidence that an English collection
of recipes was known in Scotland. That probably means you need a
Scottish manuscript containing the English recipes--which, so far as
I know, doesn't exist.

By the late sixteenth century there are printed recipe collections in
England, so it is possible there is evidence of one of them being
known in Scotland. But it sounds like a hard problem, given how
narrow the window is between the earliest English printed cookbooks
(anyone know exactly when that is? I don't) and the end of our period.

You might have better luck finding references to dishes by name in
period Scottish sources, and matching them with contemporary English
or French recipe collections. I have no idea what sort of primary
sources exist for period Scotland--in particular, whether there are
any feast menus or the equivalent.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/