SC - Tempera question

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 16:51:03 PDT 2000

Cariadoc wrote:

>By the late sixteenth century there are printed recipe collections in
>England, so it is possible there is evidence of one of them being
>known in Scotland. But it sounds like a hard problem, given how
>narrow the window is between the earliest English printed cookbooks
>(anyone know exactly when that is? I don't) and the end of our period.

I suppose that depends on how you define a cookbook. According to The
Oxford
Companion to Food (which devotes almost 2 pages to pre-1700 English
cookbooks), the first printed book relating to cookery is probably a
Noble
Boke of Cokery (1500) followed by The Book of Kervynge (1508); however A

Proper Newe Booke of Cookerye (1575 or earlier) is probably the first
book
that focuses on cookery itself, and was closely followed by several
others.

The earliest printed Scottish cookbook was written by a Mrs McClintock
and
pbulished in 1736. F. Marian McNeillエs The Scots Kitchen is
probably the
best source for old and traditional Scottish recipes, with lofts of
history
thrown in.  (Which reminds me - ? has been on my "must have" list
for quite
some time, so now Iエm off to search for a copy of the original
edition.)

Nanna

SCA-Cooks".