SC -Mus, Brei and confusion

allilyn@juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Fri Jun 9 18:21:22 PDT 2000

> I'm not so sure the grapes (and the sunshine used to dry them) aren't
> found in southern Russia.

For what it's worth, grape vines will grow in northern mainland
Europe--look at the German wine production.  I've tried making my own
raisins, drying the grapes away from the sun, in a cool kitchen.  It
takes a long time, but they are fine raisins.  Left uncovered, they will
eventually get hard as little rocks, but there may have been a
satisfactory storage method to keep this from going so far.  Otherwise,
they could be plumped in simmering water for a longer time than we use
today to make ours nice for cookies.

Any peasant who could get a fresh grape could nurture a plant from the
seed, and raise his own vine.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com