SC - Rumpolt woodcuts (was: 90 ingredients ...)

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Jun 10 13:04:08 PDT 2000

The woodland turkey is a game bird and, to my knowledge, not
domesticated.
There are people who find them much tastier than the domestic turkey.<<

Thanks!  I know that people in my Clan greatly enjoy Wild Turkey.  ;-)

Nice to know that we have the citations for both kinds, even in the very
end of period.  I was planning to include a can of turkey in my demo
exhibit--the food game--next week but might not.

Commercial turkey farms seem to specialize in a white-feathered bird,
which is, I suppose, the SA.  The traditional Pilgrim-type darkly
variegated feathered bird would be the game bird, then?

Looking thru some illustrated books, I find Bernardo Strozzi's
(1581-1644) _The Cook_, in the Palazzo Rosso in Genoa, includes turkeys
(white) waiting to be picked.  This painting is probably OOP, but gives a
look at turkeys more period than the super-breasted modern hybrids.  It's
in G. Riley's _Renaissance Recipes_.

Haven't yet found Vincenzo Campi's The Poultry Seller (Cremona).  I know
there were URLs posted giving web sites for food paintings, but can't
find the citations.  Anybody else have them handy?

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com