SC - Wild turkey-domestic turkey

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Sun Jun 11 07:38:42 PDT 2000

The classic definition of "tempera" is pigment in a media of egg yolk.

I buy gold Schmincke in small jars - about 1.5" in dia and about the same
height - and use water and a little gum Arabic to moisten the pigment. The
gold already contains powdered gum Arabic and it is a good substitute for
"shell" gold. So far, I haven't seen it tarnish like a lot of gold paints. I
don't know about the other Schmincke pigments - they may already have gum
Arabic in them as well. Check the label.

Media in period could be gum Arabic (or some other vegetable gum) or egg
yolk - however I worry about egg yolk. What happens if that scroll gets
rained on? Not only would you smear the paints, but the possibility for
spoilage seems high. Besides, I can't *stand* the smell of egg yolk, and I'm
not sure I could work with it on that basis.

However, in the interest of gaining a bit more knowledge, does anyone have
experience with egg tempera? What's the "shelf-life" of egg tempera - do you
want to refrigerate it? How does it perform over the long-term life of a
scroll? If you live in a humid climate, does it go all fuzzy after a hot,
wet summer under glass?

Maredudd