SC - Cooks Guild badges and Motto

phlip@morganco.net phlip at morganco.net
Sun Jun 11 09:08:00 PDT 2000

At 03:27 PM 6/10/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>The woodland turkey is a game bird and, to my knowledge, not
>domesticated.
>There are people who find them much tastier than the domestic turkey.<<

The Wild Turkey is a game bird, yes.  But it has also been
domesticated.  You can order Turkey poults from several hatcheries.  Check
out this one online!

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/

>Thanks!  I know that people in my Clan greatly enjoy Wild Turkey.  ;-)
>
>Nice to know that we have the citations for both kinds, even in the very
>end of period.  I was planning to include a can of turkey in my demo
>exhibit--the food game--next week but might not.
>
>Commercial turkey farms seem to specialize in a white-feathered bird,
>which is, I suppose, the SA.  The traditional Pilgrim-type darkly
>variegated feathered bird would be the game bird, then?
>
>Looking thru some illustrated books, I find Bernardo Strozzi's
>(1581-1644) _The Cook_, in the Palazzo Rosso in Genoa, includes turkeys
>(white) waiting to be picked.  This painting is probably OOP, but gives a
>look at turkeys more period than the super-breasted modern hybrids.  It's
>in G. Riley's _Renaissance Recipes_.
>
>Haven't yet found Vincenzo Campi's The Poultry Seller (Cremona).  I know
>there were URLs posted giving web sites for food paintings, but can't
>find the citations.  Anybody else have them handy?
>
>Regards,
>Allison,     allilyn at juno.com

I don't know about URLs, but I have a children's book by DK that had
paintings from Medieval history, complete with the artist's name and the
approximate year that it was painted.  Many have surprising detail!!  You
can clearly see that they had Quinces, and apples, and grapes and peaches
in one still-life painting of fruit. It is called "A Children's Book of
Art" and sells for $13.75 if you order through a DKFL representative
(Usually 15%-30% higher if you purchase from a Bookstore).  It has 64
heavy-weight pages.  There is an Adults book (lighter weight pages) that is
called "Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces: that has 512 pages and sells for
$29.95 through a DKFL representative.  This book would also have many
paintings from Medieval history - including paintings with food in them. If
you have any questions about ordering, please contact me!

- -Laurene
tinyzoo at aracnet.com

         Take a look at the DK Family Learning opportunity!
I've never seen DKFL offer the start-up kit so low twice in one year!!!
Summertime…and the $59.00 Summer Sizzler New Distributor Kit Offer
http://homes.arealcity.com/heavens_blessings/dk/DKFL.htm

    * Your new Distributor Kit was already a great deal at $99, and now
it's a Summer Sizzler for just $59! Over a $200 value!
    * For reliable and timely service, the New Kit distribution and
shipping has been moved to the PRI warehouse!
    * Special $59 Kit Offer begins 12:01am, June 6 and ends midnight, July
5, 2000. Contracts must be received by Midnight on July 5, 2000.

Email me today if you have any questions!  tinyzoo at aracnet.com