SC -poultry art, was 90 ingredients Holloptrida translation

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 11 19:53:50 PDT 2000

At 10:20 AM -0400 6/11/00, Mercedes of the flame wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I'm and aspiring feastacrat.
>
>Before I can get started on a bid, I need to get some questions
>cleared up that are becoming a mental road block for me.
>
>What makes a 14th/15th century feast a feast?  Is it recipe's drawn
>specifically from that era?  Must it be from only one country or
>from several unless otherwise specified?

"Must" is usually the wrong term for things in the Society. People,
and groups, vary a lot in how concerned they are with historical
authenticity. One group might serve blatantly out of period food at
feasts on a routine basis. At the other extreme, some individuals
would argue that a 15th century English feast should not merely
consist of 15th century recipes but a 15th century combination of
recipes--the right number of courses, pattern of what sort of recipe
is where in the feast, and the like.

So it is really a question of how authentic you, and the group you
are cooking for, want to be.

>What are the limitations on doing a new world themed feast?

The main limitation is that we don't, so far as I know, have any
cookbooks from the New World prior to 1600. You could do a feast
using recipes from Old World cookbooks from just before 1600 that
contain New World foods--but I think you will have a hard time
finding any significant number of such recipies.  You could try to
reconstruct New World recipes from surviving descriptions of the food
that the Indians ate--there is at least one reasonably detailed
account from one of the early Spanish visitors to the New World, as I
recall, but it isn't recipes.

>(I think the bidding autocrat is going for a 'Columbus' theme)

Taken literally, that rules out both of my suggestions. Columbus
didn't contact the New World civilizations for which we have
information on food, and the introduction of New World foods to the
Old World happens after Columbus.

If you want to do something that has some real connection to period
cooking, I would suggest a feast from about the time of Columbus.
There are lots of surviving cookbooks that would fit that. You might
start with Platina, which was printed less than a decade before
Columbus set sail. It is Italian, Columbus was Italian.

>When should I be concerned about -exact- historic documentation?
>Can use estimated time frame documentation?

You can do almost anything you please. If you make a serious effort
to use recipes all of which are actually from period sources, you
will be well above the median level of SCA authenticity. If you make
them all from period sources from about the same time and place, you
will doing much better than that.

>I see all these great links to online medieval recipe's but I'm
>concerned about all the details that go into putting together a
>feast menu.

Remember that the net is an open forum, so the fact that you see
something online doesn't guarantee it is true. Many of the "medieval"
recipes on the web really are medieval, but not all of them.

My general rule for printed sources is that you should never trust a
secondary source that does not include the primary source. In other
words, if all you have is a recipe in modern form that someone says
is period, you have no way of knowing how much of it is really a
period recipe and how much (possibly all) was invented by the person
"interpreting" it.  So what you want is either the original recipe
from the period source, which you can work out yourself (the fun
part, in my view), or else a worked out recipe accompanied by the
original, so that you can compare the two and see how closely the
worked out version follows the original.

The rule applies to SCA publications (and web pages) as well as other
things. The Known World Handbook has lots of bogus period recipes. So
has at least one C.A. that I know of. T.I. has printed inaccurate
material on period cooking. You really have to be willing to check
for yourself, at least to the extent of reading the original and
comparing it to the worked out version--and not trusting anyone who
provides only the worked out version.

Hope that helps.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/