SC - Manual de Mujeres, #56,61,68-72

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 13:04:16 PDT 2000

  I agree with you on the durability and permanent of egg tempera.  I also
agree about the commercial tempera colors, not coming up to the brilliance
of the surviving examples.  However, I do recommend them for the person who
only wishes to explore the medium.  Getting into to pure pigments such as
were used in the early Renaissance, can be both frustrating and expensive.
The best pigments were usually ground rare earths and ground semi-precious
stones.
  I have run across references to the use of olive oil mixed with egg yolk
as a carrier medium for gold in line work.

  Lady Katherine McGuire