SC - Manual de Mujeres #56

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 13 04:43:05 PDT 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> I put up with what I called a 'one-butt' kitchen for most of six years.
> No usable counterspace, really, and the refrigerator with the door
> opening the wrong way. You learn to to very innovative and hang as much
> on the walls as you can. And the stack on top of the refrigerator would
> have given a seismologist the hives.

Yes...Right...Bingo... But you forgot to mention the secondary cutting
board balanced on top of the open tool drawer... . And my all-time
favorite, the pantry shelves in the dining room.

> Here's a question that'll open a can of especially fun, wiggly worms: If
> money was no object and you could have the kitchen of your dreams
> (either home or eventing), what would you do? How would you design it?
> What appliances would you have? What decor? I'm just curious, but I also
> want to see if a couple of my pet theories about cooks pan out...

Since we're dreaming...

1. Two stoves: one commercial Vulcan with two ovens, plus a waterproof
infra-red (I think!) Pyrex hob. A commercial convection oven would be a
nice addition.

2. Two walk-in refrigerators (my math works out at more like 640 cubic
feet; I can barely fit in a 200-footer) with a walk-in freezer in one,
so I can have one set for standard food-chilling temperatures, and the
other set at a somewhat higher temperature for curing meats and cheeses,
lagering beer, that sort of thing. Of course this assumes I won't have
separate outbuildings for this.

3. A dough proofing box. Bear is invited to come and play.

4. A real butcher block and a permanent free-standing marble slab, in
addition to at least 30 square feet of generic horizontal work
surface/"counter space".

5. A double utility sink with a dishwasher's spray nozzle, a separate
handwashing sink and a separate dishwashing station.

6. Stone tile floors with those heavy, perforated rubber mats in front
of stoves and sinks.

7. Mondo wall shelving, probably in the form of cabinets with glass doors.

8. Powerful ventilation and natural light, with large windows on at
least two walls (yes, probably a design impossibility given the other
criteria), preferably overlooking the garden.

9. Oh, and let's throw in a steam-jacketed kettle, a Hobart mixer, and a
Robo-Coup R-2 while we're at it, for when I'm feeling lazy.

10. A skilled professional farmer to run the rest of the place.

'Lainie, are you discovering what you intended to discover?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com